On 15 March 2012 the European Platform on Deafness, Hard of Hearing, and Deafblindness met to discuss its future collaboration. The Platform formally agreed on the name and adopted the text of the agreement, which will be signed at the General Assembly of the European Disability Forum (EDF) in May.
The Platform is a co-operation between five European NGOs:
1. EURO-CIU: European Association of Cochlear Implant Users;
2. EDbN: European Deafblind Network;
3. EFHOH: European Federation of Hard of Hearing;
4. FEPEDA: European Federation of Parents of Hearing Impaired Children;
5. EUD: European Union of the Deaf.
The Platform aims to meet regularly to defend the rights of d/Deaf (including sign language users), Hard of Hearing, deafened, and Deafblind people and their families. It wants to send a strong message of collaboration to enhance the lobbying effects for all its members to ensure a barrier-free Europe. It follows the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and wants to influence the proposed European Accessibility Act to include the rights of all persons who are d/Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Deafened, or deafblind, regardless of the assistive technologies they use, or whether they use sign language.